Arjen Anthony Lucas - Lost in the New Real

Having not heard off this guy before, I went and did a little research before listening to the album, and found out he was the composer of cinematic metal band Ayreon. Therefore I was expecting something that run along the lines off such bands as Nightwish or Biomortal. I don’t think I could have been more mistaken.
When the album opens up to spoken word, I do wonder what the hell it is I’m listening to as It is all about the future with head DNA transplants. Then after more research I discover he has a penchant for concept albums.
So far, all good. Then the music starts and I’m completely blown away. This is no operatic metal, the closest I can give an example to is Dream Theatre, but even that is a weak comparison. Arjen throws so many genre’s at this album and they all mesh in some weirdly chaotic way that actually seems to make sense and keeps the listener on the edge of their seat, which is probably a good thing as the album clocks in at 1 and a half hours with a whopping 26 tracks with barely a song clocking in at under 4 minutes in length.
Overall this is an intense album that completely messes with the listeners head. It may not be for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. (9/10)

James Merrett


1 comment:

  1. This album is true talent.

    Entertaining review aswell!

    ReplyDelete