Vilipend | Record Quiz

Find a record that makes you nostalgic for your youth.

Jane’s Addiction Nothing’s Shocking. I discovered this record literally by accident in my teens. I was at a Sunrise record store in Toronto and, knowing nothing of the band, bought it on tape (this was before CDs and digital) solely based upon its cover art. The first time I put it on, I had no idea what I was in for — the mix of punk, goth, metal, funk, rock and Perry’s childlike, yet world-weary voice. It still remains one of my favourite records to this day.

A record that is criminally overlooked. 

That’s a weird one. I think, if I’m being self-serving and slightly egotistical, Inamorata was criminally overlooked by certain mags, blogs and people this year, but it also received much praise and attention, which I’m very humbled by and appreciative for. In terms of a record I wasn’t involved with creatively, the Love Below’s Every Tongue Shall Caress was, in my opinion, genius and far too few people are rocking it. As well, way too many slept on -16-’s Deep Cuts From Dark Clouds. The new Imbroglio (Declared Self-Hatred) will likely fly under the radar for many, as they called it a day. Basically, if it’s on No List or A389, you should make sure you check it out. 

A record that makes you feel angry at the world. 

Buzzov*en’s Sore. Again, I bought this record knowing very little about this band, save an interview I read in Metal Maniacs that covered a tour with Eyehategod and Neurosis, and that they were on Roadrunner, which, at the time, believe it or not, was actually a sign of quality. Without question, Sore remains one of the most hostile, abrasive and misanthropic releases I’ve ever heard, mixing sludge, punk, hardcore and hatred. If that’s on my speakers or headphones, you should probably give me a wide berth.

What record do you listen to as a guilty pleasure? 

I don’t really believe in “guilty pleasures,” musically, as if you enjoy something, you enjoy it. Maybe it’s a more aggressive music-honed perspective, but since most people don’t like what you listen to anyway if you are into metal or hardcore, I generally don’t concern myself with what people think of my musical tastes, which are beyond reproach. That said, I have been listening to Die Antwoord’s Ten$ion a great deal lately, as well as Girl Talk’s All Day and Feed the Animals.

A record you wish you made. 

Rollins Band’s The End of Silence. While Rollins has never been one for subtlety on the lyrical front, this record, in terms of the group’s efforts to intertwine Sabbath-ian doom and heaviness with jazz, blues and rock, is clearly their creative apex and one of the most important albums of my teenage years. It also demonstrated to me the importance of screaming, “yeah” in songs.

A record that gives you a peace of mind. 

I can’t say I really ever achieve peace of mind, even with medication. I go to sleep listening to the same music I listen to all day, so, really, it’s more that aggressive music, be it hardcore, noise rock, metal, whatever, gives me some sort of peace of mind or at least another reason to wake up each day.

A record that influences you, but people would never know it. 

I am actually obsessed with Hole and Courtney Love, as well as a number of “grunge bands,” since I grew up with it (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Babes in Toyland, etc.). However, Pretty on the Inside more so than any Hole record has had the greatest influence on me, lyrically, as well as certain parts of Live Through This and My Body the Hand Grenade.


What are the five metal albums that you would recommend to the new generation of kids to check out? 

Besides Inamorata by Vilipend, you mean? Well, everyone should check out our compatriots in Meek is Murder, Titan (the Toronto one), Ken Mode, Pristina, Mares of Thrace, Full of Hell, Godstopper, Tiger Flowers, whatever band Darrell from Imbroglio ends up in, the Great Sabatini, Endast, Biipiigwan and anyone I may have unfortunately forgotten (follow us on Facebook or Tumblr, or at www.vilipend.ca for updates and shoutouts).

However, to answer the question, here are my choices, even though I’m listing seven:

Deadguy Fixation on a Co-worker
If you were around during the Victory mosh metal movement of the mid-’90s, this record changed not only the rules, but the game itself. If you weren’t, if you listen to even vaguely technical hardcore (Converge, Dillinger, Botch, etc.), you owe a debt to this band, which first started adding noise and technicality to their take on metallic hardcore.

Ink & Dagger The Fine Art of Original Sin
Talk about being ahead of your time! If their music wasn’t forward-thinking and inventive enough (and, trust me, their blending of punk, electronics, hardcore, noise and experimentation was), their vampire shtick has been ripped off to no end by bands with nowhere near the ability or creativity. Remember: music first, gimmick second. R.I.P. Sean McCabe.

All Else Failed This Never Happened
I can’t believe everyone doesn’t love this Philly group as much as I do. Emotional without being emo, bludgeoning without being blunt and beautiful, at times, without being saccharine, All Else Failed move me in ways few bands ever have. Imagine the technicality of Dillinger with the heart-wrenching moments of Inkling and older Poison the Well. Oh yeah, ex-Dillinger drummer Chris Pennie plays on this record also.

Kittens Bazooka and the Hustler
While Ken Mode continue to rep Winnipeg, MB, hard, Kittens remain one of the unsung bands from that region, outside of the Great White North, anyway. Mixing Melvins and Jesus Lizard heaviness, noise and aggression with crazed, warped vocals and an intensity few have ever matched live, Kittens weren’t cute and cuddly, they were mean, ornery and unpredictable, just like a rabid animal in the wild.

Botch We Are the Romans
Unquestionably one of the most important and influential releases in the history of modern aggressive music, it saddens me that more and more, people don’t know the origins and originators of the genres they claim to love. Botch took hardcore and metal and mixed both with odd time signatures, unparalleled creativity and innovation, and the ability to crush with just a single, angular riff and offbeat drum pattern. Go find this record and see how it should be done.

The National Acrobat TNA: The Complete Recordings
“The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long,” and that’s absolutely true in the case of Louisville, KY’s the National Acrobat. Even though the brothers Patterson have gone on to greater notoriety in Coliseum and Young Widows, their best work was unquestionably accomplished in the Acrobat. While Casper Adams’ vocals are a make-or-break proposition for many (as any challenging vocalist’s should be), musically the Acrobat were weird and wonderful, odd and awesome, mixing punk, metal and hardcore with rock and the unorthodox in unexpected ways.

Shallow North Dakota This Apparatus Must be Earthed
Some bands spend all their efforts attempting to be heavy, while other acts simply are — they know no other way of being. Another Canadian entrant, Shallow North Dakota were the epitome of density, mass and heaviness — hailing from “the steel city,” Hamilton, ON, how could they be anything but? No breakdowns, no wanking, just relentless, crushing music that’ll grind you to a bloody mess beneath its work boots.


Inamorata is out now via A389 Recordings | www.vilipend.ca

0 Comments: