Angelus Apatrida - The Call

Apparently Angelus Apatrida is a fairly well known band, which surprises me as I had personally not heard of them until I was assigned to review this, their latest album. From what I can find about the band on the internet, they are a Spanish band that has been around since 2000 and tearing up the thrash scene in Spain ever since.
At first I was a bit leery of listening to this as I've recently reviewed several thrash albums for both this and other publication-Too much of one genre can lead to burnout and taint one's ear's after all. Luckily for me however, "The Call" starts off with the absolutely ripping "You Are Next" which blew me away with it's neck snapping riffs. The band then continued the pace for the rest of the album with song after song of high quality thrash.
One of the things I have to comment on is the production-It's crystal clear and really helps to elevate the band beyond many of its peers. Musically the two bands that Angelus Apatrida seem to have the most in common with are Destruction and Kreator, however the band are far from copycats.
This whole album absolutely shreds and I'm pleased to say that this is so far, one of the best releases of 2012 with songs like "At the Gates of Hell" and the previously mentioned "You Are Next" the absolute highlights.
"The Call" releases on April 30th in Europe and on May 8th in North America. (9.5/10)

Curt

Label info: www.centurymedia.com
 


0 Comments: